Randolph & Seward,I want first of all to commend you on the very creative manner in which you have approached the vexing question of how to enable Liberians to participate meaningfully in the current bid round for the 4 remaining offshore oil blocks: LB-06, LB-07, LB-16 & LB-17, both as regards local content of services to be provided and direct equity participation by Liberian citizens alongside international oil companies (IOCs) in our fledgling oil industry.Indeed, I note that you took a leaf directly out of my playbook as regards Liberian equity participation (see the below/attached copy of my memo dated January 10, 2012 to the then-president of NOCAL, Christopher Neyor, in which I recommended that the bidding procedure include an incentive to IOCs to “carry” Liberian citizens with a 5-10% equity participation in their bids). One significant omission from your rules is an anti-corruption provision that I recommended: namely, that Liberian government officials (to be legally defined in the bid documents) be prohibited from participating in bids.My one criticism of the process is that it was not given sufficient publicity inside Liberia, thus opening it to legal challenge now or in the future from myself or other Liberians like me who might have wanted to participate in this great opportunity. If you want the process to be seen as truly transparent and a genuine effort to garner as wide a participation of Liberian citizens as possible, then you should have taken a slice out of NOCAL’s considerable media budget to mount a vigorous publicity campaign in Liberia through print (newspapers) and broadcast (radio and television) media to bring your 2014 bid round to public attention.I consider myself to be amongst those Liberians that are informed, but I only heard of this bid round through casual conversation with one of your vice presidents, Pete Norman, a couple of days ago. I rushed to NOCAL’s website, only to find out that I had missed the boat.I therefore recommend the following:that you immediately extend the close of pre-qualification by 90 days, from October 3, 2014 to December 3, 2014;that you extend the deadline for bid submission by 90 days, from October 31, 2014 to January 31, 2015;that you extend the date for opening of the bids by 90 days, from November 3, 2014 to February 3, 2015; andthat you extend the date of notification to the successful bidders by 90 days, from November 17, 2014 to February 17, 2015.I am copying my lawyers, Cllr. Musah Dean, who also happens to be a former president of NOCAL, and Larry Gibson of the Baltimore, Md-law firm of Shapiro Sher Guinot & Sandler, as well as the editors of Frontpage Africa and the Daily Observer, and Hon. Adolph Lawrence, chairman of the House committee on Energy, and Hon. Gbehzohngar Findley, president pro tempore of the Liberian Senate. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
National Social Security & Welfare Corporation (NASSCORP), an insurance agency of government covering workers in Liberia, has begun a major road project on 24th Street, Sinkor, where it is also erecting a 5-storey building for future use.The road is paved with concrete tar rather than asphalt, something experts say would last longer because the soil there hosts enough water that the concrete will be able to absorb.According to the experts, using asphalt would cause cracks in the pavement and the road will damage soon.The street, like the rest of the streets in the Sinkor belt, is to be paved by government, but an official of NASSCORP who spoke with this paper recently said the agency decided to underwrite the cost as part of its social responsibility to the people.According to the official, NASSCORP works for the people and it collects taxes, therefore, “The people have to get in return the benefits of their taxes as part of the agency’s corporate social responsibility.”Contractors constructing the road said earlier that the project would have stopped near the John F. Kennedy Medical Center Cholera Unit on 24th Street, but NASSCORP’s management reasoned that it should be extended downward to the beach so as to help residents in that area not to suffer from erosion and flood during the rainy season.The road leading to the beach on 24th Street is on a slope, and during the rainy season running water that enters the nearby swamp usually causes the area to be flooded.It may be recalled that in June 2014, many in the People United Community, between 20th and 24th Streets, were gravely affected by flood after long hours of rainfall.Also in 2016 there was a repeat of the disaster and scores of people were affected, leading some to even move from the area.As measurement was extended down to the community after ending the first phase of the road at the Cholera Unit, some residents were expressing delight over the development.“We are happy that the road will come down here. It will really help us, and we don’t care how the measurement will affect us. All we know is that our road should come,” James Barlea, an elder of the community said.Pains of development While some are rejoicing for extension of the road project towards the beach, there are still others who, due to roadblocks, rained insults on the workers.Some drivers living down the beach were recently heard insulting the contractors when they (contractors) lined measuring sticks and steel mats on the road in preparation of pavement.Two men, during the day the first phase was completed, were also heard insulting the workers for blocking the road to prevent passage so that the watery concrete could solidify.“I don’t know what kind of crazy people are these. Why can’t you complete one side and leave the other side for us to pass? You want to do all at once?”This ongoing road project financed by NASSCORP is among other road projects in the Sinkor belt sponsored by government.Beginning 10th Street to 18th Street, government is rehabilitating that belt with asphalt tar including the Payne and Horton Avenues.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Mo Diame 1 Hull City midfielder Mo Diame is determined to repay his relegation-fighting side after injury “killed” his debut season at the club.Diame joined the Tigers from West Ham on the final day of the summer transfer window but recently spent four months on the sidelines with a serious knee problem.The 27-year-old Senegal international is now back fit and he has returned at a crucial time, with his team fighting the drop and facing an ugly remaining fixture list.“I had a good start here and I was very happy every morning coming here to train with these great people,” said Diame.“Unfortunately, this injury has killed a little bit of my season but this is the life of a footballer, so I am going to do everything I can to make sure I am 100 per cent for the rest of the season.“I will be doing everything I can to help this team stay in the Premier League.”
1 Barcelona defender Thomas Vermaelen Former Arsenal captain Thomas Vermaelen will finally make his Barcelona debut on Saturday.The Belgian joined the Spanish champions in August, arriving from the Emirates for a fee in the region of £15million.Since then the defender has been riddled with injury – to the extent that he is still yet to make his Barcelona bow.However, the 29-year-old is now scheduled to make his debut on Saturday as Luis Enrique’s side prepare for their final league game of the season.Departing legend Xavi is also due to start as he ends his 17-year long Barcelona career with a clash against Deportivo at the Nou Camp.“Xavi will start tomorrow? Yes. Vermaelen will play? Yes,” said Enrique.
A LONGFORD Town fan who has travelled to matches at Finn Park for more than 15 years says he will never return – claiming a section of Finn Harps fans last week were ‘an absolute disgrace’.Longford man Brendan Connolly also insisted that the Harps fans should have been ejected from the stadium because of their foul-mouthed behaviour.He said his experience at the Ballybofey venue last Friday with his wife and young family a huge shock for them. “Having visited Finn Park on numerous occasions over the last 15 years I have had nothing but pleasant experiences of Finn Harps supporters and the Donegal public in general,” said the soccer fan.“However last Friday night the abusive and foul language directed at Longford Town and its supporters was an absolute disgrace.“This was continued throughout the match by a small section of thugs masquerading as Finn Harps supporters.”Mr Connolly said he was even more shocked that these fans were not removed from the ground. He went on: “I am not surprised in the slightest at the poor level of support Finn Harps currently have and which sees the club almost on the point of extinction, when one experiences the atmosphere that we as visiting supporters were subjected to on Friday night.“Sadly, despite the fact that I enjoyed all my previous visits to Finn Park I will not be returning with my family as a result of the experience.”* What do you think? Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.orgFOUL-MOUTHED FINN HARPS FANS BRANDED ‘A DISGRACE’ was last modified: April 28th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:abusive fanschildrenFinn Harps FCfoul languageLongford Town
Both our seniors and reserves were in action in the first Division 2 league games of the season on Sunday. The reserves put up a great fight against a good MacCumhaills side but unfortunately 2 first half goals proved the difference as MacCumhaills ran out 6 point winners. In the Senior match the lads outplayed MacCumhaills for much of the first half and led 0-11 to 0-4 at half time. The home side proved to be a much better side in the second half and with the help of 2 goals managed to run out 2-10 to 0-14 winners. Next up for both sides is Bundoran on bank holiday monday. Both sides will be hoping to get their first points of the season and all support is encouraged.Training for both Reserves and Seniors has changed to Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7.30pm in the Race Field Murvagh.Winning Numbers in this weeks lotto were 4,10,13,16 and 20. There was no winner of the jacpot. Winners of €25 include, Padraig Rooney, Eamonn Doherty, Chloe Love and Liz Cassidy. Next weeks draw will take place in Jamesies Bar on 10th April with a jackpot of €11,100. Training continues on Saturday mornings for u8, u10 and u12 players at the race field in Murvagh at 10am. All new players are welcome to come along.Well done to Sarah Timoney (daughter of Sean and Nora Timoney) on winning a bronze medal in Nenagh at the weekend in the All-Ireland finals of walking. This is a great achievement and all the best in the future.Check out the new Naomh Brid website on www.naomhbrid.ie. All club updates and information are now available through this.Anyone who wishes to have any information included in the club notes should contact Shane Walsh on email@example.com by 6pm on Monday evening. GAA NOTES: NAOMH BRID was last modified: April 3rd, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:NAOMH BRID GAA NOTES
Pictures inside the hospital this eveningPICTURE EXCLUSIVE: PATIENTS are being moved at Letterkenny General Hospital this evening after flood waters poured into the new Emergency Department.Our pictures show fire crews wading through the flood waters at the new multi-million euro facility.The incredible downpour around 5pm sent torrents of water flooding down through the town. “It was unbelievable,” said one patient.“There was an almighty noise from the water as it rushed through.“Staff are doing their best to keep patients safe and move them to higher wards.”Gardai are stopping people entering the A@E as a precaution.Staff have launched an emergency plan – but there are already questions as to how such a new facility failed to cope with the downpour. Some hospital staff have been called back into the hospital to help recover patient files which were damaged by water.There are flooded roads across the Letterkenny area as a result of the thunderstorm.Several roundabouts including the Oatfields roundabout were impassable as water came up to the level of the roundabout itself.You can see DDTV footage of flood waters earlier in the evening on Donegal Daily.Copyright Donegaldaily.com: pictures inside Letterkenny General this eveningEmergency services at the scene LETTERKENNY HOSPITAL EVACUATED AS FLOOD WATERS POUR INTO NEW EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT was last modified: July 27th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:floodedletterkenny hospital
SARASOTA, Fla. – The grainy images captured by a carwash’s security camera were chilling: a burly, tattooed man in a mechanic’s uniform grabs the wrist of an 11-year-old girl walking home from a friend’s house and leads her away. Carlie Brucia’s half-naked body turned up several days later outside a church. Jurors concluded Thursday that a former mechanic was the man in those images, which were broadcast nationwide during the search for Carlie’s killer. After deliberating five hours, they convicted Joseph Smith, 39, of kidnapping, raping and strangling the girl. He could get the death penalty. Prosecutors built their case on the footage, the testimony of Smith’s friends and co-workers who said they recognized Smith in the video, DNA and hair-analysis evidence, and the word of the defendant’s brother, who said Smith confessed. Smith, who did not take the stand, showed no emotion when the verdict was read. The jury will return for the penalty phase of the trial Nov. 28. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Carlie’s mother, Susan Schorpen, wept softly with her head bowed when the verdict was read, and the girl’s father, Joe Brucia, nodded when each of the three convictions was announced. As he left court, he said only that he was happy with the verdict. “I can never hold her again. Where’s the closure?” Schorpen said outside the courthouse. “I’ve lost one of the most precious things to me in my life because of an animal, a disgusting, perverted animal.” When asked whether she was satisfied with the verdict, Carlie’s mother responded: “When he’s dead. When he meets his maker.” Carlie’s killing spurred the introduction of federal and state legislation to crack down on probation violators. At the time of the slaying, Smith was in violation of the terms of his probation on a cocaine charge because he failed to pay $411 in fines and court costs. But a judge declined to put him in jail, saying Florida does not have a “debtor’s prison.” At the trial, Smith’s lawyers raised questions about the reliability of the FBI lab where the evidence was analyzed and challenged the motives of Smith’s brother, John, suggesting he was interested in the reward money. The brother told the jury Smith had confessed to having “rough sex” with the girl and killing her, and told him where the body was. Prosecutors played taped jailhouse conversations Smith made with his brother and others in which Smith talked of being on drugs while committing the crimes. An FBI code breaker translated an encrypted letter Smith wrote his sibling, saying he had left Carlie’s clothes and backpack in four trash bins. Also, DNA analysis connected him to a semen stain on Carlie’s shirt, and strands of hair from Smith’s vehicle were found to match the girl’s hair. Before Carlie’s slaying, Smith had been arrested at least 13 times since 1993, mostly on drug offenses. In one case, he was charged with kidnapping a 20-year-old woman, but was acquitted. He pleaded no contest in another case in which a woman said he hit her in the face with a motorcycle helmet. He was sentenced to 60 days in jail. He also served 17 months in prison on drug possession and fraud charges. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Harvey’s Point in Donegal is hosting an autumn wedding fair on Saturday 5th October to showcase how the lakeside venue can make wedding dreams come true.Harvey’s Point, on the shores of Lough Eske, is Ireland’s No. 1 hotel and one of the most romantic locations in Ireland.On Saturday October 5th from 1-4pm, the Harvey’s Point wedding team is inviting couples to visit and see what a fairytale wedding could be like at the exquisite venue. Dedicated Wedding Coordinators, Samantha and Micheál will be on hand to talk you through your dream Harvey’s Point Wedding and you can meet the rest of the Harvey’s team who work together to ensure that your day runs exactly how you planned.Harvey’s Point Wedding Coordinators, Samantha and MicheálThere will also be a selection of fabulous Wedding Suppliers showcasing on the day also so you will find everything you need to plan your perfect day!This is the perfect chance to avail of an exclusive offer at Harvey’s Point: Book your Wedding at Harvey’s Point before October 31st and be in with a chance to win a 2 night stay at the stunning Farnham Estate, Spa & Golf Resort in Cavan.So come along on Saturday 5th October and discover your dream wedding at Harvey’s Point. Meet the amazing team who make every wedding a special day and see just how amazing a wedding overlooking Lough Eske could be.Visit weddingvenueireland.com to discover more or take a virtual tour of the venue with General Manager Noel Cunningham in the video below.If you require further information please contact Samantha or Micheál on +353 7497 22208 or firstname.lastname@example.org Harvey’s Point to host stunning wedding fair this Saturday was last modified: October 2nd, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegal weddingsharvey’s pointwedding fair
Test your Chelsea knowledge. See how many of these five questions you can answer correctly…[wp-simple-survey-47]Follow West London Sport on Twitter Find us on Facebook