The Guyana Bank for Trade and Industry (GBTI) on Friday revealed its 2019 calendar while the students who participated in the art competition were also rewarded. The six students – Chelsea Wallerson, Mariana Ramai, Lorenzo Smartt, Darshanie Pirana, Unn Persaud and Shavanie Balkissoon – were among more than 130 students who would have entered their artworks to be featured in the calendar.As they were rewarded, Public Relations and Marketing Manager, Pamela Binda pointed out that along with the creative pieces, the almanac is inked with the banking institution’s new tagline “We see Guyana through your eyes”. They are also aligned to focus more on retail and commercial lending.“We have been focusing more on commercial lending and this is one of the reasons you will see GBTI being repositioned and one of the reasons we have a new tagline ‘We see Guyana through your eyes’. We’re more than banking. We believe in people achieving their dreams,” Binda noted.She further stated that the response from stakeholders surpassed all expectations, while added that the Bank will continue to support and investing in youths.“This year exceeded more than we anticipated. Thankfully, people still see our calendar art competition as one that is worthwhile entering and this is testimony to the fact that we invest in our young people and we will continue to do this. The bank will continue to make avenues like these possible so that persons can exhibit their skills and talents,” she asserted.Meanwhile, Executive Director Richard Isava stated, “Many times, we don’t encourage our children to participate in the arts and literature and music. This is a great demonstration that there are many careers in Guyana that you can pursue.”Consumers can look forward to their decorated calendar next year which features the six winning pieces.
– fire official claims “bomb threat”Staff and other personnel attached to the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Headquarters, Camp Street, Georgetown, on Tuesday were positively informed that they can resume work after an immediate evacuation exercise was carried out following the sight of smoke emitting from a department on the third floor.Initial reports stated that it might be a bomb since over the past weeks, several establishments had received bomb threats. However, an employee who asked not to be named, confirmed that it was not a bomb threat but rather smoke emanating from a wire which was suspected to have caught afire.Reports confirmed that no major damage occurred as the Guyana Fire Service arrived promptly at the scene and brought the situation under control.When Guyana Times arrived on the scene, frustrated staffers of the State-owned company were seen gathered in their numbers outside of the premises waiting on instruction on their next move.GRA employees waiting to re-enter the buildingRanks of both the Guyana Fire Service and Guyana Police Force who were present at the scene, were observed to be inspecting the compound after which employees were allowed to re-enter the building.A senior Police official at the scene told the media that he was unable to give a comment on the incident and as such, directed all questions to the Crime Chief.On the other hand, when contacted, Fire Prevention Officer Andrew Holder was unable to provide sufficient information on what had transpired at the establishment. “I was told that it was a bomb scare, I wasn’t fed with any other information which would suggest that it was a fire”.
…mission to dump over 0M in cocaine in sea abortedThe Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) on Tuesday set out to the Atlantic Ocean with the intention of dumping more than $300 million worth of cocaine, but owing to difficulties encountered, the mission was aborted.Initially, just over 318 kilograms of the illegal substance had been packed and readied for disposal, but owing to the difficulties encountered, the drug enforcement unit was only able to dispose of 44kg.The cocaine being prepared for disposalThe remainder, 273kg was returned to CANU headquarters where it will remain in storage until a decision is taken with respect to other means of disposing same.Before the team left for the Atlantic Ocean, the whitish substance was tested and proved to be cocaine in the presence of media operatives.CANU Head, Major General Retired Michael Atherly explained that the cocaine was tendered as evidence in 77 court cases that have been completed. The cocaine was seized in various raids and operations between November 2013 and January 2017.However, after travelling into the Atlantic Ocean, members of the team started to experience nausea, resulting in some vomiting on account of the stench of the illicit drugs.Upon realising what was happening, the head of the team aborted the mission and ordered that the vessel return to the Coast Guard Wharf at Ruimveldt. On arriving at the CANU headquarters, the cocaine was once again weighed and placed into secured storage.A member of the team noted that other options would be considered in the hope of destroying the drug, while noting in the past, burning was also done. A decision will be made once the options are debated.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Northeast B.C./Yukon Trackers blew a late one-goal lead to tie the Grande Prairie Athletic Storm on Sunday afternoon.After a scoreless first period, the Trackers found themselves down 2-0 midway through the second frame until Connor Bowie collected a loose puck along the boards, skated to the slot and fired a wrister top corner to cut the deficit in half at 10:09, assisted by Aiden Craig-Steele and Zury Reschke. Eighteen seconds after going down by two goals once again, Cody Bueckert beat a screened Storm’s netminder from the point on a great solo effort. The boys were down by one goal going into the final period frame.At 12:58 of the final stanza Curtis Hammond accepted a Bowie pass in the neutral zone, skated down the wing and fired a shot through the defenceman’s legs over the blocker of the visitor’s goaltender to tie the game at 3-3. Then at 17:52 Devan Minard deflected a Duncan Ross point shot from eight feet out to give the team their first lead of the game, John Herrington with the secondary helper. With under a minute to play the team allowed the tying goal. Final score Trackers 4 – Storm 4.- Advertisement -Bowie led the way with two points while eight players chipped in with a point.“It was a game that didn’t have a lot of flow,” said head coach Gerard Dicaire. “After a bland first period, they took it to us in the first 10 minutes of the second but after that, I thought we started to play our brand of hockey. We just need to remember to close out games when we have a late lead.”With the tie, the Tracker moved two points up on the Peace River Royals for the top spot in the Bouchier Division standings with 39 points.Advertisement Next up for the boys is a trip to Whitecourt for a doubleheader this weekend. Saturday’s game gets underway at 3:15 p.m. while Sunday’s clash with the Wolverines starts at 1:00 p.m. Both games can be watched online at: www.ustream.tv/channel/nebctrackers
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John Rodeo is returning to the Energetic city in July and is in need of volunteers.Anyone interested in volunteering for the rodeo can visit the Fort St. John Rodeo’s Facebook page or call (250)-262-1032.The rodeo is hosting a volunteer’s gathering in the curling rink at 7:00 p.m. on Friday to find potential recruits.- Advertisement -“Any volunteer clubs or non profit clubs in town that want to do some volunteering, we have kind of different levels of we would like to help you if you help us.” said Fort St. John Rodeo Organizer Jodie Surerus, “We’ll have jobs and people can sign up to do it. It kind of takes a village to do it, so any help would be awesome.”The rodeo runs from July 20th to the 22nd at the North Peace Light Horse Rodeo Grounds. The rodeo will include all rodeo events, all-pro chuck wagon racing, food trucks, as well as the “Down in the Dirt” dance.Tickets rates for the event are seen below:Advertisement Adult Single Ticket: $15Adult Weekend Pass: $40Senior and Youth Single Ticket: $10Senior and Youth Weekend Pass: $25Single Dance Ticket: $25Weekend Dance Pass: $40
However, Klopp wants to retain the passion inside the stadium without the ugly scenes outside the ground which are the subject of a UEFA investigation.“In the stadium do it again and better. Outside the stadium, please show the respect we have to show,” said Klopp on Monday.“This is such an outstanding football club, an outstanding football family, known for fantastic atmospheres all over the world, so we don’t need to throw whatever at the bus of the opposing team.“If we can do what we did creating an atmosphere in front of the stadium, let’s do it but please show the respect they deserve.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp attends a press conference at Anfield in Liverpool, northwest England, on April 23, 2018, the eve of their Champions League semi-final first-leg against Roma © AFP / Paul ELLISLIVERPOOL, United Kingdom, Apr 23 – Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp warned the club’s fans not to repeat the scenes that saw windows of Manchester City’s team bus smashed by thrown cans and bottles ahead of their Champions League semi-final, first leg against Roma at Anfield on Tuesday.City became just the latest victims of a famous European night at Anfield on the pitch three weeks ago as Liverpool raced into a 3-0 first leg lead that laid the foundations for their 5-1 aggregate victory over the English champions in the quarter-finals.
Quique Sanchez Flores has dismissed speculation linking Watford with a move for Liverpool flop Mario Balotelli.The Italian striker is looking for a way out of Anfield, just one year on after joining the club for £16m from AC Milan.Sides in Italy have shown an interest, while Europa League champions Sevilla have also made an enquiry.But Flores has now ruled Watford out of the running after the Hornets were linked with an audacious move earlier this week.“When a player is only in the plan of the media I prefer to not talk about it,” said Flores.“Inside the club we haven’t talked about Mario Balotelli. So at the moment this is a possibility more in the media than the club.” 1 Mario Balotelli
Well-known Letterkenny man Paul McDaid is making a name for himself Stateside after a video of his dance moves went viral. McDaid showed sensational footwork that his brother Paddy would’ve been proud of during his four-minute performance at the ‘Dancing Like a Star’ event. McDaid performed in the fundraiser which was held in aid of Delco Gaels GAA club in Boston and he was the undoubted star of the show.The popular former DJ and former Gweedore Celtic star is working in Public Affairs and Marketing in Boston having emigrated from Letterkenny in 2013.Simply click on the video above to play. DDTV: CROWD GO GAA GAA FOR DONEGAL MAN’S DANCE MOVES STATESIDE was last modified: February 24th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Dancing like a star eventDDTVDelco Gaels GAA ClubFeaturesfundraisernewsPaul McDaidvideoViral
Sometimes the distrust between civilians and officers is based simply on perception. Cameras could help in this case, too. If an officer could play the recording of a traffic stop and show the violator that he or she indeed made an infraction, the people would be more trusting of the police, instead of considering them as adversaries. Additionally, the criminal justice system would save in enormous investigative costs when a video recording lays down a clear case that the officers had a probable cause and obtained all the evidence properly. This would lead to admission of guilt by the criminals, saving us long and costly court proceedings. In fact, taking into account that a single liability settlement involving police misconduct can reach as high as $15 million, the cost of the whole program would return enormous dividends by saving the city tens of millions of dollars every year. The police union has come aboard, and community activists are also supporting cameras in police cars. It is time for the City Council to show leadership and bring this overdue idea to fruition. Sunil Dutta is a sergeant II in the Los Angeles Police Department.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORERose Parade grand marshal Rita Moreno talks New Year’s Day outfit and ‘West Side Story’ remake The immediate benefits of making video recordings would be to stop the criminal cops in their tracks, as their actions would be documented. Likewise, offending officers’ rude behavior and misconduct would come to an end. But there are also other tangible benefits. Numerous field supervisors and Internal Affairs investigators who must investigate thousands of frivolous complaints of the “he said, she said” variety would be freed up. Bringing these supervisors to the field would further help the officers who need supervision and training, thus making them better officers. The majority of hard-working and professional officers would also benefit tremendously. All the false lawsuits and allegations made by criminals against them (“he called me names,” “he stole my money,” “he hit me with a baton for no reason,” “he planted dope on me,” etc.) could be instantly dismissed. Investigations of complaints against the officers involve numerous resources, which could be freed up. Furthermore, the city would not have to pay millions of dollars to innocent people violated by criminal cops. (Imagine if Rafael Perez had to record all of his interactions with the community). The city attorney would not have to settle civil suits resulting in payola to the criminals and their defense lawyers because no eyewitnesses are available to corroborate officers’ statements. The city and the department would also gain tremendously by creating an image of openness, thus silencing the critics who have accused the LAPD of obstructionism and perpetuating a code of silence. Demagogues like Najee Ali and Tony Mohammed would be out of their jobs. Although a plan to put video cameras in all Los Angles Police Department patrol cars would cost an estimated $25 million, it would be worth every penny. The returns would be incalculable in reduced city liability, transparency, enhanced police-community relations and a great boost in morale for officers. That, in turn, would lead to higher productivity, fewer complaints and a better working environment. Those who call the idea expensive are missing the forest for the trees. During the last decade, the city has paid almost $100 million in legal settlements in civil cases involving police misconduct. The allegations of abuse that fuel these lawsuits could be ended by ensuring that all LAPD contacts with citizens be recorded, including all traffic stops. In the current policing climate – in which officers are wary of being falsely accused of racial profiling, planting evidence and using excessive force – most would be more than happy to use the cameras.
Experts say that nearly half of Irish adults will be obese by 2030 if the current issues with childhood weight and obesity are not tackled.As it stands 31.8% of 7 year old children are either overweight or obese.In Ireland, 300,000 children are overweight and 100,000 children are obese. Ireland currently has the 5th highest rate in Europe for childhood obesity.The cost of tackling this problem can be around €600 per child per year and around €5000 per year for obesity related diseases.For adults the OECD has recorded that 1 in 4 Irish adults are obese (30+lbs over a normal weight).2 in every 3 Irish women and 1 in 2 Irish men are classed as overweight (10% above a normal weight). We have the 2nd highest obesity rates in Europe for adults, with the UK being the highest.The total cost to the country is around €1.6 billion per year for obesity related diseases.A study from the Irish Universities Nutritional Alliance has shown that in adults aged 18-64: 39% of Irish people were of a normal weight. 37% were overweight and 24% were obese.In adults aged 65 years and older 49% of women and 59% of men were overweight, 24% of women and 25% of men were obese.Since 1990 the rate of obesity has increased from 8% to 26% in men and from 13% to 21% in women. The greatest increase in this was shown in men between the ages of 51-64 years.Physical activity levels will decrease with age with those over 65 being the least active.On average, we are watching 18hours of television per week (27% are watching more than 25 hours per week).Of these people, the average time spent in recreational activities averages at only 5.3 hours per week. Shocking statistics… What happened?How is it that as a nation, we are getting bigger and bigger?What is to blame?Is it Carbs? Fat? Low -fat diets? High-Carb diets? Dairy? Gluten?Maybe we are looking in the wrong place.Maybe it’s our hormones, our Thyroid, our glands, our genes?What is the problem and how do we solve it?Is there a way to solve the obesity epidemic that we are experiencing?Jennifer K. Nelson, R.D., L.D. and Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D. of the Mayo Clinic in the US writes; “There is no “silver bullet” and it will take the combined efforts of every segment of society to address this disease. This is nothing new. After all this is what it took to address other public health threats, such as HIV/AIDS, infant mortality, polio, car safety and tobacco.I want to add that the most important aspect of reversing the obesity epidemic is personal responsibility and taking care of ourselves, our family and friends”.Anyone can lose weight when on a diet, but as Zeratsky/Nelson stated above, it is about more than just losing weight.There are habitual changes that have to be put in place first so that whenever someone is ready to begin to change they will be better prepared to succeed.Weight loss is a matter of energy balance.If you burn more energy (through your daily activities and exercise) than you ingest (take in through your diet) you will lose weight.But if you are not ready for change, (and I mean ready as in a smoker being ready to quit smoking) then you will always be fighting an uphill battle against yourself.#TrainSmart For further information on how to battle obesity, contact me through the link below. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rushe-Personal-Training-and-Performance/120518884715118 * Emmet is the owner and operator of Rushe FitnessEMMET RUSHE’S FITNESS COLUMN: FIGHTING IRELAND’S OBESITY CRISIS was last modified: July 21st, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:changedietemmet rushefightinghealthobesity